The holidays are an exciting and busy time of the year, particularly in shopping centers. To help ensure that everyone has a safe holiday season, here are some reminders from the Irvine Police Department:
· When approaching and leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.
· Lock your car and close the windows, even if you're gone only a few minutes.
· Lock packages in the trunk out of view of potential thieves.
· Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
· Park near street lights if possible and have your keys in hand when you return to the car.
· Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
· Don't overburden yourself with packages.
· Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
· Pay for purchases with a check or credit card when possible.
· Be sure to put the receipt in your purse or wallet not in the bag.
· Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Carry your purse under your arm. Keep your wallet in an inside jacket pocket, not a back trouser pocket.
For more information on safety during the Holidays, please contact Irvine Police Department’s Preventive Services at:
Portola Area (949)724-7193
University Area (949)724-7149
Crossroads Area (949)724-7042